Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Horrible Haircuts

Please tell me why some children are deathly afraid of getting their haircut?  And, please tell me why God chose to give me one of those kids?  I needed to get Banks' and Hughes' hair cut before Hughes' birthday party this weekend.  I normally do the shaping up of Hughes' hair and only have to take him to Hair Bears every 3-5 months.  He refuses to wear the cape which then lets all the cut hair fall onto his shoulders, body, etc.  Because he is crying hysterically his face is wet which then in turn hair gets stuck to - see where I'm going with this?  So before the end, I have a two year old gagging on hair, hair glued to his entire face because now we've got tears and mucus all over his face, and an uneven haircut to boot!  SOOOOOO, I decided that I would start cutting it because then I could at least fuss at him and tell him to quit the hysterics.  Well, tonight was the worst yet.  I even tried it in front of the tv with a sucker trying to get his mind off of what I was doing.  Needless to say, nothing worked.  I ended up popping his leg and fussing at him like I've never done before.  I've since put him to bed b/c I'm so disappointed in myself and how I handled the situation.  He didn't deserve me fussing at him but he really ticked me off!  

Banks, on the other hand, played with my cell phone the entire time.  Of course, Banks also doesn't have half the amount of hair Hughes does.  I think my solution is going to be to turn this over to David and let him take Hughes to get his hair cut because I've had it.  

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

The only time Charlie ever sat still for a haircut was when we took him to Disney World! They have a barber shop on main street, and we told him they cut Mickey's Hair. :)

Zach and I have both tried taking him to get his haircut. We have worn capes and held him in our laps. I have bribed, fussed, and a number of other things that just didn't work. The last time I took handfuls of bubble gum. He sat in my lap, and I let the guy take the clippers to his head while I shoved gum in his mouth. He fussed a little, but it was a HUGE improvement over other experiences. Usually, I get some really nasty looks from people while he screams during the haircut!

I hope that it will get better for you. John Christian LOVES to get his haircut and tells us when he wants to go. I guess 1 out of 2 isn't bad! ;)

Nancy said...

I have to say that since my boys have required haircuts once a month since they were five months old that I am so thankful we don't have to go through this. This third one will probably be a nightmare in the stylist's chair!

Good luck and I hope you can find a trick that works for you. That frustrated feeling we get as parents is not a fun one - I totally get that often!

Jennifer said...

What a nightmare. When you find a solution, please let us know--those of us who need to know for the future! good luck

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers