Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kentucky Derby Party With a Royal Twist


*I love a costume party. When I'm told to dress-up or don something fancy, then I will try my best not to disappoint.

Suzie hosted a small Kentucky Derby Party this year and threw a royal twist with it. Instead of just sun hats, we were to wear fascinators in honor of Prince William & Duchess Katharine's recent nuptials. I loved the idea from the minute we talked about it. Now, I'm not one to go and buy some expensive hat. I am one to break out my trust old glue gun and get creative.


I offered to make David a top hat but he declined. I went with yellow because it matched my shirt and that's the color the Queen wore. So, I thought it was befitting of me to wear yellow, too. After all, I am Queen of my house. The big boys were in the splash pools in the backyard.

Some wore sun hats, some wore fascinators.
Laura, Me, Elizabeth, Suzie & Kelly

My Boys

We didn't win the race with our horse but we had a great time.

My hat was made out of a paper plate using a coat hanger to keep it's "v" shape. It was covered it yellow satin fabric from Walmart and I used some feathers off of Maemae's hat that she really did wear to the Derby last year. Throw in a headband, some yellow netting, couple of glue sticks & lot of blisters on my thumbs and you have my masterpiece. It was a fascinating fascinator!



2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love your fascinator! So creative!

5mcintyres said...

How crafty are you!? That is awesome! Looks like fun. See you soon!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers