Tuesday, May 19, 2009

An Experiment

Apparently, David is not the only one in our household that can do experiments - I can!  Lately, when I've asked Hughes if was a boy or girl, he would always respond with girl!  I even changed it up with boy or monkey, boy or turkey.  When he answered he was a monkey or a turkey, I just contributed it to him teasing me.  I wasn't that concerned by it - I kind of thought it was funny.  But the more I thought about it, I did get a little concerned.  So, I spoke to his speech teacher about it and she asked him the same question but with the choices reversed and he answered correctly.  So, we just figured he was repeating whatever the last choice was.  

Yesterday I did my experiment with the help of some jelly beans (thanks mom for the suggestion!).  I sat Hughes down and asked him "are you a girl or a boy", he answered boy, I asked " do you want candy or a kiss", he answered kiss so I gave him a kiss.  I told him if he wanted candy then he needed to say "candy".  We went through boy or girl with him saying the correct answer, we did what's mommy with him saying the correct answer, etc.  

All in all, I would say my experiment was a success and I got the positive results that I was looking for!  I learned that Hughes does know he's a boy and he's just not that interested in answering my questions when candy is not involved.

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers