Friday, February 25, 2011

Fossil Show = Shark Tooth Show


Last Saturday, we were trying to avoid the crowds downtown at the SEWE festival so we decided to head to Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner to see the Fossil Show. Well, as it turns out, that particular day Berkeley Co. residents got in free. We basically traded one crowded place for another. And the "fossil show" was pretty much a shark tooth show. Any fossil that was really interesting had a plaque beside it stating "replica". What the heck? I don't want to see replicas! I want to see the real deal!

So, the boys settled on looking at hundreds and hundreds of shark teeth. I, on the other hand, just enjoyed the people watching. It was an interesting crowd of scraggly beards, overalls, and missing teeth but they had enthusiasm that was for sure. I watched one vendor have a discussion on shark teeth while having half of a sandwich in his hand which he used for gesturing and chewing bites of said sandwich all while letting his beard catch the crumbs. I had to stop myself from staring.

The boys had a great time. They each got to pick a $1 bag of random shark teeth and do the fossil dig which was a baby pool filled with sand and mostly little shark teeth. Hughes supposedly found a whale ear bone. We decided to be the optimists and go with that label but who really knows what he found.


Checking out the shark teeth

My butterfly and caterpillar


David and Hughes showing his shark tooth necklace


Me and Banks chilling with some jell-o


And, this my friends, is why I refuse to go on a boat ride through the swamp. I realize that my fears are unrealistic. But, I may just be the one this little guy is waiting for or my children may look like just the right size for a chomp. Either way, I don't like alligators and I'm not going to chance it.

Do you see him? I spotted him while on our walk through the swamp. After that I couldn't take my eyes off of the path. I was constantly looking for alligators & snakes. Not the most relaxing walk.





No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers