Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spring is here!

I'm probably premature with this post but I just can't help myself - I've been bitten by the Spring Bug.  I love it when the weather turns warm, the short sleeves and shorts come out, and the grass starts turning green again.   I've been weeding, fertilizing, and pruning during nap time this week.  I love to work in the yard when I have the time and the energy!  And this Spring weather has definitely woken up the inner gardener!



I've decided this year that I am going to plant a garden.  I've tilled the soil and mixed in compost, built a wooden frame around the garden to help keep little feet (human and canine) out of it, and planted my seeds.  Keep your fingers crossed that something (other than weeds) starts to grow.  The sticks in the garden show where I've planted seeds.  I know they're close together.  I plan on weeding out the weak and keeping the strong!  Also, the blue liner is because I used treated lumber so that my frame would not rot.  The tarp is only around the inside and bottom of the frame.  So, because I used treated lumber I needed to put in a barrier to prevent the chemicals from the lumber getting into my garden and poisoning my plants.  Now, if nothing grows I reserve the right to use this as an excuse!  


I've planted tomatoes, cilantro, squash, and cucumbers.  I was also going to plant zuchini but Lowe's didn't have any zuchini seeds when I went.  Soooo, I picked up cilantro.  I love homemade salsa with fresh cilantro!   


Also, I found this coupon on another blogger's site and decided to swipe it and put it on mine for all my shopper friends.  I am definitely planning on using it (hopefully without the kids in tow)!  30% off your total purchase - way to good to pass up!  




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! I love to work in the yard too. It is such great therapy! I can't wait to find out the results of your garden. We loved having zuchini. It was yummy! I love your handy work. You did a great job! Have fun!

Jennifer said...

Good luck! I've given up on just about everything but tomatoes. My cilantro fails every year, which I don't understand. I'm sure yours will thrive!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers